Welcome to PrideTalk.ca, Canada's LGBTQPIA+ community! If you are new to us, or forums in general, start here with our beginner's guide.

What type of groups do you go to?

The place to find other locals, talk about your neighbourhood initiatives, what your country's doing and the things going on in the world right now.
Administrator
They
Pronouns: They

What type of groups do you go to?

Post by AlexBC »

I have always been a fan of groups - social meetups, support groups, meetings, shows... they're a great way to interact with other people and get some community time if you're like me, and a bit socially awkward. I'm curious what types of groups people go to (if you feel comfortable sharing!) and what types you enjoy best.

I personally attend a support group for chronically ill queer people, and I've spent a some time at specific orientation/identity groups, like bisexual or asexual/aromantic groups, as well as occasional meetings at transgender gatherings. I have trouble hearing in crowded settings though, so I find some of them aren't a good fit even if I like the people in them, and queer game nights are often a bust because I can't hear any of the other players - which is a shame, as I love board games! I feel like my ideal group would be in a very relaxed, quiet setting, which is often hard to find.

What about you? What groups are your favourites, or most attended? If you don't have the right groups (or any) around you, what would your ideal one be?

They

Re: What type of groups do you go to?

Post by Stars »

I haven't been to many groups yet, but I went to a few meetings with a pride group at my university (before the quarantine started). Everyone was very welcoming and kind, and it was nice to see more open discussion about sexuality and identity on my campus.

As for ideal groups, branching off of what Alex said above, I think that a group w/ game nights would be fun to have, while being much more comfortable! Kind of like a DnD group for LGBTQ+! That would be my favourite, if we had one. :smiling:

Administrator
They

Post by AlexBC »

General pride groups are pretty nice! I've been to a few in my time, though it was mostly during high school. I am glad your university group went well, hopefully you'll be able to go back soon!

I was actually looking for a queer DnD group before the quarantine started because I really wanted to play some, but most 'regular' nerd groups, I always get worried people won't be cool with me playing non-binary characters. xD Maybe it's worth seeing if we can set up a casual game through here - it'd be all text responses, but that could be cool!

She
Pronouns: She

Post by IceWitchCiel »

I have mostly of late avoided what few hroups were around my area either due to poor management or just a general lack of communication, I mostly stick to virtual now, D&D would be cool although Im already in 4 campaigns atm, I would be willing to try though I am a slow typer, (D&D keeps me breathing)

Administrator
They

Post by AlexBC »

IceWitchCiel wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 4:28 pm
I have mostly of late avoided what few hroups were around my area either due to poor management or just a general lack of communication, I mostly stick to virtual now, D&D would be cool although Im already in 4 campaigns atm, I would be willing to try though I am a slow typer, (D&D keeps me breathing)
..... is this because all the groups suck now that I'm not there anymore.

Did our group ever restart or did it just disappear like I did?

They

Post by Stars »

AlexBC wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 6:02 pm
I was actually looking for a queer DnD group before the quarantine started because I really wanted to play some, but most 'regular' nerd groups, I always get worried people won't be cool with me playing non-binary characters. xD Maybe it's worth seeing if we can set up a casual game through here - it'd be all text responses, but that could be cool!
DnD is always welcome! I think it would be really fun :grin:

She
Pronouns: She

Post by IceWitchCiel »

Wait as in you, me, V*******, and Luke, that group?