Welcome to PrideTalk.ca, Canada's LGBTQPIA+ community! If you are new to us, or forums in general, start here with our beginner's guide.

What was your first experience with Pride?

We're queer, we're here and this is the area for talking about it.
Administrator
They
Pronouns: They

What was your first experience with Pride?

Post by AlexBC »

It seems every year that Pride celebrations get bigger and flashier... but some people have no doubt been going to Pride events for a while and remember when it was less so. What was your first - or at least early - experiences with Pride? Have you only gone recently? Have you never gone at all? What was it like?

She
Pronouns: She

Re: What was your first experience with Pride?

Post by IceWitchCiel »

When I was around 16 I found the existence of the acronym and after a year or so before getting to parkview I kinda had a stronger realization on what wasn't connecting for myself and started going to camps once per year held by the Youth Project, when they were held near me, relatively good experiences.

She
Pronouns: She

Post by IceWitchCiel »

I was also in a Pride Parade a couple tikes but the stress and anxiety of all the people, I wouldn't go in it again personally

Administrator
They
Pronouns: They

Post by AlexBC »

IceWitchCiel wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 5:09 pm
When I was around 16 I found the existence of the acronym and after a year or so before getting to parkview I kinda had a stronger realization on what wasn't connecting for myself and started going to camps once per year held by the Youth Project, when they were held near me, relatively good experiences.
I never actually went to any camps, but it sounds like a cool experience - the Youth Project does a lot of cool work.
IceWitchCiel wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 5:10 pm
I was also in a Pride Parade a couple tikes but the stress and anxiety of all the people, I wouldn't go in it again personally
Also fair, I swear they get bigger every year. I went in the Vancouver one last year and it was torture the whole time. A clusterfuck from beginning to end. xD Complaints were lodged.

She & They
Pronouns: She & They

Post by keyo8 »

When I moved to Metro Vancouver, one of the first things I did was go to the full Pride parade, the only time I've ever watched it in even close to full, and, while it was way too overwhelmingly busy and hot, I immediately found a bunch of support groups and social groups, some of which I'm still part of, and from there I now I know what my letters in the acronym are.

East Van Pride is much better and I will miss it this year.